You might think we are crazy. We have purchased this amazing boat yet will not be going on her full time until January 2015.

That’s right 2015 NEXT Year…

To ease the longing and pain of waiting we do have  5 weeks on the boat in June July but after this we have to pack her up and say goodbye.

Seven Reason Why We Purchased When We Did

Truth is we won’t be and never have been ready to go until the start of 2015. Yet when we purchased our boat it suited us on several levels.

1. Catana were building a boat with no buyer assigned so we were able to get a reasonable discount.

2. At the time the Australian dollar was healthier, this changed our buying power.

3. Cost prices for new can only go up and we could do the deal at the time.

4. As my Captain is a teacher he has always been committed to finishing at the end of the school year -19th of December. This fact holds us to a 2015 departure (38 weeks south of here if counting weeks…)

5. As part of the deal Catana Yard had to look after our girl in all aspects until we get there in June.

6. One year of working and saving extra is worth it.

7. Plus the undeniable truth when making a purchase associated with a dream it always had the kick in factors of emotion and desire…

 

Our 2014 boat of the year will in effect have 7 weeks sailing in total for the year. She will still feel very new when we step aboard in January next year.

 

 

So What To Do With Her For 182 Days When Back In Australia 

Once we leave, Catana have offered us a 20% discount to berth the boat in France. The Catch – they, the yard, get to show the boat and do test sails if need be…     At this stage of consideration 20% is just not enough “what’s in it for me” factor. “The computer says Nooo.”

To put the cost in perspective the Catana option is over $8,500 to keep our boat safe but not dry for the 182 days. (That’s with the discount and sharing with no control on who looks and moves her etc)

Option Two

We find an alternative place in the Mediterranean to house the boat. Costs and potential homes being researched currently. This then leads on to the next question.

To Be Dry Or Not?

What is best, to leave the boat in the water at a marina or to take her out and put on the hard. I read conflicting recommendations, pros and con’s for both.

The Catana option is to keep the boat in the water.  In exchange they will keep the boat clean, motors turned over and whatever else it is you have to do when a boat sits idle in the water.

If we put the boat on the hard moving past the work involved to get ready,  it seems a set and forget type situation. It will be a watch this space to see what happens. I must make comment that these are all kinda cool issues to be dealing with. No complaint from me.

 

Dreams & Boats… so much to consider

 

Cheers

the Miss

 

PS it is still too far away to start a day count down but from weeks to go here are the figures:

11 weeks to departure 1

5 weeks of sailing

26 weeks to final departure

 AN UPDATE – this post makes us consider whether we should go sooner…..

 

time clock closeup on whte

 

Time

Time will come, time will go
Time shall reap, that time has sown

Time comes slowly, time goes fast
Time will linger, time outlasts

Time sees all, time knows best
Time remembers, time never forgets

Time will hide, time will reveal
Time will open, time will seal

Time brings hope, time brings fear
Time brings distance, time draws near

Time will help, time will hinder
Time will shine, time turns to cinder

We forget about time, yet it’s all we would know
In time, there is everything, and time will show

Facebook Comments

Website Comments

  1. the Miss

    Hi Ed,
    We are so sad already to be leaving our boat and we haven’t even got on her yet. This is a tricky decision but I will keep you posted of cost and the convincing factors.

    the Miss

Post a comment


5 − four =